Tuesday 22 August 2017

#EdFringe 2017 Round Up | Week 3


I honestly can't believe how quickly the past week has flown by! I had a slightly quieter week for week three but sometimes it's about quality not quantity and I think this was certainly the case for me.


Brick City: Although this isn't a show, it is a fringe event so I thought I'd include it here. Brick City is an exhibition that features a city made entirely of Lego and you also get to see behind-the-scenes and see the models being built which is super interesting. It would be great for kids (or big kids like me!) and is only £6 so it's perfect if you've got an hour or so to kill and want to be inside!

Warwick Revue: Night Shift at Black Market: This was a free sketch show put on by the Warwick University Comedy Society and it was absolutely absurd. There were some very funny sketches and some very weird ones, and there were also some performers who were stronger than others but overall it was enjoyable, especially considering they wrote it themselves.
3 Stars

Skin at Pleasance Courtyard: The only dance shows I've seen previously have been ballets so it was so refreshing and interesting to see a hip-hop/modern dance style tell such a moving story. Skin tells the story of a trans man struggling with body image and acceptance and is so beautifully performed. I adored the combination of music, lighting and physicality and I even shed a few tears at the end. I cannot recommend this one enough folks!
5 Stars

Guru Dudu's Silent Disco Walking Tour: Again, not a show as such but this is an event I took part in last year and loved so much that I had to go again. The name really says it all: you wear headphones and follow 'Guru Dudu' as you dance your way around Edinburgh. It's a chance to completely let your hair down and lose your inhibitions and I loved it. I believe tickets are sold out online but if you go along there are a few available on the door.
5 Stars

2 Become 1 at Gilded Balloon: 2 Become 1 is the 90s pop musical that tells the story of four girls looking for love through the form of speed dating. Don't go to this show expecting something high-brow but go expecting cheese and fun. It had me laughing aloud and dancing in my seat so I'd recommend this one if you want to relive the 90s and have a good laugh!
4 Stars

Maklena at TheSpace: This show really surprised me as I had no idea what to expect and ending up loving it. This is the first English translation of a Soviet play and tells the story of a young girl living in poverty on the brink of the communist revolution. The piece combines beautiful music, lighting and puppetry to create a piece that is so audibly and visually pleasing that the story is just a bonus. It's really affordable too which is a bonus.
5 Stars

Play Something at Greenside Nicolson Square: This show was a bit of a mixed bag for me. I think the concept is really interesting: the story of a gay couple's relationship interspersed with music that reminds them of key events. However I think the script needed some work and the acting, despite having a couple of strong emotional moments, could have been better. It was nice enough but didn't blow me away.
3 Stars

Scarlett Sohandsome: This was my second free drag show of the fringe and while it wasn't hysterical, it was amusing. Scarlett was very blunt and told the audience straightaway that she was hungover but it definitely only added the comedy. Again it was free so worth checking out if you've got some time to spare.
3 Stars

Betty Grumble in Love and Anger (Or Sex Clown Save the World Again) at Heroes at Monkey Barrel: This is up there as one of my favourite fringe shows so far. Betty Grumble is a clown who talks feminism and equality and performs a series of comedic and thought-provoking acts. There's a lot of nudity so it's probably not for the faint-hearted but it was so liberating to watch and I left feeling completely inspired. If you want to see something different I would highly recommend this one!
5 Stars

The Unmarried at Underbelly Med Quad: I was expecting good things from this show but actually left feeling a little let down. It's the story of one woman's long-term relationship, told in the form of an extended poem, with some live renditions of popular dance music throughout. While the production was quite well done, I just found the story uninspiring and unexciting and it just wasn't quite what I'd hoped for.
3 Stars


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Olivia Loves Theatre | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig