Wednesday 30 August 2017

#EdFringe 2017 Round Up | Week 4


So the Edinburgh fringe has come to an end for yet another year. While I am completely exhausted, it's been a brilliant (almost) six weeks here in Edinburgh and I've seen some truly wonderful shows. The last week was fairly busy (despite the tiredness suddenly catching up with me!) and I managed to see some shows that I've had on my list since the beginning of August.


Next Best Thing: How to Be Good at Everything at Pleasance Courtyard: Next Best Thing are a female comedy duo and they claim that their show will teach you a variety of skills. It doesn't quite end up that way which makes for a very funny show. It was in Bunker One which is a small, very intimate venue so there was plenty of audience participation which was both funny and cringe-worthy. I'd definitely like to see more from this pair because I really liked their style.
4 Stars

A Super Happy Story (About Being Super Sad) at Pleasance Courtyard: This has been a very popular show at the fringe this year and I can see why. It's a play about living with depression with a few catchy songs thrown in which makes for a very entertaining and emotional show. I actually saw the understudy in the lead role of Sally although I wouldn't have guessed - she gave a very moving and powerful performance and this goes straight up to the top of my list of best shows I've seen.
5 Stars

Ingrid Oliver: Speech! at Pleasance Courtyard: I was a big fan of Ingrid Oliver as part of comedy duo Watson and Oliver (who had a sketch show on BBC 2 a few years ago) so I was thrilled to see that she was bringing a solo show to the fringe. Oliver performs a series of sketches on the theme of public speaking and politics. Each had a very well defined character and the whole show was very well put together.
4 Stars

We Are Ian at Pleasance Dome: This was another show that came very highly recommended and again, I can see why. The show is about the rise of house music in the late 80s and combines music, clowning and movement to create a really original and fun show. It was not at all what I was expecting but I loved it, especially the audience interaction.
4 Stars

The Cat Man Curse at The Bedlam Theatre: Created by three ex-members of the Cambridge Footlights, The Cat Man Curse is an absurd story with a mysterious plot in a sketch style format. It was ridiculously fun and I particularly liked that a variety of different styles of theatre and comedy were combined in one piece and worked so well to create a show that was full of surprises.
4 Stars

The Marriage of Kim K at C Venues: I'm really wondering if I'm missing something in regards to this show. I read some good reviews and the majority of the audience seemed to be enjoying it but this was the only show of this years fringe that I almost walked out of. It's a new musical/opera which combines the story of The Marriage of Figaro with Kim Kardashian's 72 day marriage to Kris Humphries. Honestly I just thought that the singing was poor, the orchestra were poor and the music and lyrics in general were cringe-worthy.
1 Star

Girls at Pleasance Courtyard: Girls tells the story of three African girls who are kidnapped and held hostage by a terrorist group, and has similarities to the real life events of the Boko Haram kidnapping in Nigeria. It's a very powerful piece about African culture and how the media and the West feign interest in such tragedies without actually getting involved. It had some witty moments and some very dark moments too, and I think it's a really important and relevant story. Very glad that I managed to see this one.
5 Stars
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Olivia Loves Theatre | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig