Wednesday 23 November 2016

The Rocky Horror Show | UK Tour | New Theatre



The Rocky Horror Picture Show has such a cult following so when I saw that the UK tour would be returning to Cardiff I decided it was time I found out for myself what all the fuss was about. I watched the film a few months ago and thought it was brilliantly weird so I couldn't wait to experience the live version. The atmosphere in the theatre was absolutely electric from the moment I walked in: there were so many people dressed up and you could just tell everyone was ready to have a great night.


One of the key things to note about the show is the amount of audience participation that takes place. People shout things out, sing along and get up to dance. The narrator, played by Philip Franks, was particularly good in this respect as he was incredibly quick witted and topical in response to the audience remarks and this had me in stitches. Liam Tamne as Frank N Furter was also wonderful, owning the stage in every scene and oozing confidence (and dancing in heels better than I ever could!). In fact the cast as a whole were brilliant and you could just tell that they were having so much fun performing this show.

The set was fairly simple but very versatile, with fast scene changes keeping the pace of the show lively. The costumes were bright and eye-catching and the choreography was such fun to watch. There was a full standing ovation during the curtain call which was followed by the whole audience dancing along with the cast. I was on such a high when I left the theatre after having experienced a truly joyous evening full of raucous laughter and sexual innuendo. I can now see why people see the show so many times, as it would be slightly different every night, and I'm already planning my next visit. The production is at the New Theatre, Cardiff until Saturday 26th November (tickets here) but the tour continues until the end of the year. For more details, check out the tour website.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Olivia Loves Theatre | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig