Wednesday 12 August 2015

Memphis | Shaftesbury Theatre





Memphis has been a show on my 'to-watch' list since it first landed in London so my friends and I decided to take a little trip down to London to see the matinee show. We saw understudies in the two principal roles, but although I was disappointed not to see Beverley Knight, Rachel John as Felicia blew me away. I didn't know much about the show and only knew one song (Memphis Lives in Me) but it absolutely exceeded my expectations. From the opening number, the music had me dancing in my seat. The voices blended together and created a beautiful soulful chorus. Combined with adventurous choreography and the band live on stage, the show really excited the senses.


The story combines the issues of racial inequality with romance and fame, which made for an exciting and moving story. I found the show to be very powerful (in particular the act one finale Say a Little Prayer) as the issues are very much still relevant today in parts of the world. I couldn't take my eyes of the stage, the entire cast being electric and I'm incredibly sad that the show will be closing in October (the final show is the 31st) as it means I probably won't get chance to see it again, much as I would love to. I'm reliving the show now as I listen to the soundtrack- it's full of catchy tunes- and if you're after something fresh and exciting to see in London I would highly recommend this. It's a great laugh with great music and a really wonderful message that will be hard to forget.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Olivia Loves Theatre | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig